Please plan ahead on the timing of your applications and appointments for Passports, Visas, and Immunizations. Make sure to follow instructions and timelines RIM provides in your Acceptance Packet to ensure that you have the proper travel documents for your trip.
- Apply or Renew -Your Passport must be valid for six months after the end of your trip, usually 2/1/2018 or later.
- Be sure to choose a Passport BOOKLET, not a Passport CARD.
CDC Immunization Information:
Immunization Requirements & Recommendations:
RIM’s utmost desire is to keep participants safe and healthy while they travel! It is important to know that participants without the proper vaccinations are at an increased risk when traveling internationally (compared to living within the US) because foreign countries do not have the same vaccination rates as the US. Diseases that have been nearly eradicated from the US for decades are much easier to contract in third-world settings. For this reason and based on CDC recommendations, RIM requires and/or strongly recommends the following:
- Childhood vaccinations – Required on all trips
- Tetanus – Required on all trips, no exceptions
- Hepatitis A – Required on all trips
- Typhoid – Required for Thailand and Botswana; strongly recommended for Guatemala
- Malaria medicine – Strongly recommended for Botswana (because we’ll be in the northern region of the country)
*Do not use chloroquine because Botswana is a chloroquine-resistant area
Do you usually submit a waiver to your school instead of receiving vaccinations? We can help!
Please contact RIM at 1-800-774-6746 before you begin fundraising for your trip. Exemptions are not possible for Tetanus and Yellow Fever.
Still have questions? Don’t be overwhelmed…
Give RIM a call at 1-800-774-6746 between 9am-5pm EST, Monday to Thursday or email GoInfo@realimpact.com.